Radha Soami - Meaning
What is the meaning of Radha Soami / Radha Swami
Radhasoami Gurus and disciples say that 'Radha' means Soul and 'Soami' means Lord. Therefore the meaning of the word Radhasoami is "Lord of the Soul".
The above mentioned meaning of radhasoami is completely arbitrary, rather incorrect.
- Wrong Meaning of Radhasoami - Lord of the Soul
- Correct Meaning of Radhasoami - Shiv Dayal Ji
True Meaning of Radhsoami in Book Sar bachan Radhasoami
One needs to read the book "Saarbachan Radhasoami" to understand the actual meaning of the word Radhasoami.
In the book Saarbachan Radhasomai, Shiv Dayal ji's dying statements are recorded. The statements have been written by Seth Pratap Singh (younger brother of Shiv Dayal Ji) .
At one place in Bachan number 5, Shiv Dayal ji addresses Rai Saligram and asks him to respect his wife Narayani Devi. In the footnote on the same page it has been made clear that Seth Pratap Singh used to address Narayani Devi (Shiv Dayal Ji's wife) as Radha Ji. It further clarifies that for this reason, the word Radha Ji has been recorded in this book rather than Narayani Devi.
This therefore clarifies that Seth Pratap Singh used to call Narayani Devi (wife of Shiv Dayal Ji) as "Radha". This is how the word Radhasoami came into existence. See the image below.
Meaning of RadhaSoami | Sar Bachan Chand Band
Read Bachan 5 and footnote 1
Footnote 1 reads
- असली नाम माता जी का माता नारायणी देवी जी था। लेकिन चूंकि सेठ प्रताप सिंह जी साहिब जिनहोने यह वचन लिखे हैं, इन को राधा जी के नाम से पुकारते थे, इस वास्ते यहां राधा जी दर्ज है।
Sar Bachan Chand Band Bachan 5 in English
- Statement 5 - Then, turning to Rai Saligram and all Sadhus and Satsangis, male and female, Swami Ji Maharaj said: "Look upon Radha Ji (Swami Ji's wife) in the same way as you look upon me, and consider Radha Ji and Chhoti Mata Ji as equal.
There is no footnote in this book but the meaning of Radha Ji has been included in parenthesis.
Correct Meaning of word Radhasoami
- Radha = Narayani Devi (Shiv Dayal Ji's wife)
- Soami (Swami) = Master or Husband or Lord
Therefore "Radha Soami" means Radha ka Soami (Swami) i.e. Husband of Radha ji = Shiv Dayal Ji
Hence "Radha Soami means Shiv Dayal ji"
Origin of Term RadhaSoami | Sar Bachan Chand Band
This term Radha Soami was actually coined by Rai Salig Ram who used to address Naraini Devi (wife of Seth Shiv Dayal Ji) as "Radha Ji". This is how the name "Radha Soami" came in to existence.
Radha Soami faith has been started by Rai Saligram rather than Swami Shiv Dayal Ji. This is explicit in statement number 14.
See image below from the same book Saar Bachan Radhasoami. Read Bachan 14.
Saar Bachan Radhasoami Bachan 14 - English
- Statement 14 - Turning to Lala Partap Singh, He said: "My mat (ideal oor teachings) were of Sat Nam and Anami, and Radha Swami Mat has been started by Saligram. Let this also go on. Satsang should continue, and Satsang will flourish more than before."
Meaning of the word Radha Soami | Video